Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Priorities.

Out of all the wedding planning, the search and then purchase of our home has been, by far, the most exciting. Ever since Andrew closed on his house, I've been to it over a dozen times cleaning, painting, organizing, visiting the empty rooms with a friend, or just driving past to gaze at it with the realization that in 54 days I'll be living there. The general wedding planning tasks have all taken the back seat and the house has claimed "shotgun." Andrew has been very adamant about his moving in and thus, most of our free time is spent working towards that goal. Unfortunately, as a result of continually working on readying the home, I've been tossing and turning at night thinking about ALL the other tasks outside of being a homeowner that need to be finished before May 29. Consequently, it has been a real struggle for me to know which priority - time with my fiance, family, friends, school, learning to cook, job, church, Bible studies, wedding plans, house - should take precedent.

Despite our bare walls, our house is beautiful. Each day as it takes shape, I grow more and more thrilled. Once the hardwood floors were in and the paint on the walls, the potential I saw for the home became reality. I've always loved color and it's a delight to be able to put it on the walls of my own home. For the kitchen, I chose a yellow that my Aunt Suzanne has in her kitchen - Yukon Gold. For our bedroom, I chose a rich blue - Brookside, for the office, a vibrant red - Cocktail Dress, and for our guest bedroom - Pale Moss Green. We chose to not paint the living room and keep it a contractor white. We'll adorn the walls with cheerful things though. Also, the laundry room is on hold for the moment. However, I anticipate a light orange color covering those walls in the near future (yay).

I've had lots of help and am extremely thankful for it. Mrs. Seipp graciously helped me cut in most of the rooms, Sarah also cut in, my mom cleaned all my hard wood floors and painted, my dad put in chair molding around our office, Hope helped me clean out the cabinets, and Luke and Michelle helped move a few pieces of furniture from Lewes. Family is the best.

I am so grateful that my husband-to-be is providing such a wonderful little house for me to live in. I look forward to inviting ya'll over in the upcoming years.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh, that just sounds like a DREAM! I can't wait to have a home of our own one day where I can pick out wall colors! I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your place.

    As for priorities, I say just spend time with your family. Especially your parents. Just sit on the couch with them, hold their hands for pete's sake. It's the time with them that will matter to you until the day you die! Not little details about weddings!

    ReplyDelete